How To Comply
The City and the Utilities have partnered to create a comprehensive, step-by-step Benchmarking Guide to help you through the benchmarking and reporting process. Below is an overview of the process with links to the relevant sections of the Guide:
- Register your Building with LADBS by completing the steps in Section 1.
- Create a Portfolio Manager Account by completing the steps in Section 2. If you already have an account, you can skip to Section 3.
- Create or update your Property Profile by completing the steps in Section 3.
- If tenants are not directly billed by the utilities (i.e. the building is master metered), upload prior calendar year’s whole-building data to your Property Profile by completing Section 3B.
- Do not request data from the utilities if your building is master metered. Instead, you can simply upload the data to your Property Profile by following the steps in Section 3B, and submit your Benchmarking Report to LADBS (see Section 6).
- If tenants are billed directly for electricity, water, or natural gas, request LADWP and/or SoCalGas to upload the prior calendar year’s aggregated data by completing Sections 4 and Section 5.
- Only request aggregated data from the utilities if tenants are billed directly for electricity, water, or natural gas. Follow the steps outlined in Sections 4 and/or 5 to request LADWP and/or SoCalGas to upload the aggregated data to Energy Star Portfolio Manager (ESPM).
- Submit your Benchmarking Report to LADBS by completing the steps in Section 6.
To comply with the Los Angeles Energy and Water Efficiency Ordinance, please complete the steps and submit your report on or before June 1, 2018 (buildings >50,000 GSF).
Please note that if you do not already have whole-building electricity, gas, and water data, it is recommended that you complete the data request process by March 1st to allow sufficient time for data upload and review.
- Contact the LA Department of Building and Safety with questions related to your Building ID, notification letters, deadlines, registration (including revising contact information), payment of fees/fines, and non‐compliance notices.
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact LA Energy and Water Efficiency Resource Center for questions on benchmarking
- Contact LADWP with questions regarding status of electricity and water data requests, or issues with electricity or water data provided
- Contact SoCalGas with questions regarding status of gas data requests, or issues with gas data provided