FAQs, Links & Videos

Frequently Asked Questions

General Compliance

How can I verify that my building is in compliance?

To verify your building status, log into your LADBS account here: https://www.ladbsservices2.lacity.org/OnlineServices/Login/Login. For further questions about your compliance status, please contact LADBS directly at: ladsb.ebewe@lacity.org. 

Do I have to benchmark and report my new building?

Per LADBS, yes, all privately owned buildings 20,000 square feet or more must be benchmarked. The EBEWE Program requires you to register, pay registration fees, and benchmark you building every year according to the schedule defined in the EBEWE Ordinance (see LAMC Division 97, Article 1, Chapter IX).

What utilities do I need to report?

Per LADBS, the following utilities need to be reported, based on the total consumed by the whole building for the entire calendar year being reported:

  • Indoor and outdoor water usage
  • Electrical usage
  • Natural gas usage (if you have a gas meter)
  • Energy generated by solar panels (which is not part of an electrical bill) must also be reported

The building is a condominium. Who is required to benchmark it?

Per LADBS, the condo homeowner’s association can benchmark the building and submit the benchmarking report to LADBS.

Are new buildings subject to the Ordinance?

Per LADBS, yes, new buildings are subject to the Ordinance and need to be benchmarked and registered. The first year of compliance depends on the square footage of the building and is defined in the Ordinance. See Section 91.9705.3 for Ordinance scope details.

What is a Building ID and why is it important? 

LADBS assigns each building in Los Angeles a unique identifier called Building ID. For the EBEWE Program, it is needed to register the building in LADBS’ EBEWE system and to identify buildings in the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager system. Building IDs are provided to the owner of the buildings covered under the scope of the EBEWE Ordinance in Notices to Comply and Non-Compliance Invoices sent by LADBS. You may also find the Building ID for your building in LADBS’ Building Information Online system (BIO).  At BIO, click the “Search by” dropdown menu and select “Building ID,” type in the building ID, and the map will highlight the building that corresponds to that particular building ID. Also, note the zip code for the building as you will need to enter this in Portfolio Manager. LADBS downloads your reporting data using the Building ID AND the zip code for the building you entered in PM to benchmark your building.. The benchmark data cannot be downloaded if the building address AND zip code do not match the address and zip code LADBS has in the EBEWE system.

What is a Property ID?

Per LADBS, the Property ID assigned by Portfolio Manager is different from the Building ID assigned by LADBS. The Property ID can be found in your ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager account under your property's name and address in the top navigation bar. The Property ID is used to request data from SoCalGas and LADWP. The Building ID is used to access your LADBS EBEWE account and search for status information on the LADBS EBEWE website (LADBS.EBEWE@lacity.org). The Building ID is printed on all correspondence sent to you from LADBS related to the EBEWE Program, including Notices to Comply and Non-Compliance Invoices.

My building or building site has multiple Building IDs. Which one should I use in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager?

Please contact LADBS at ladbs.ebewe@lacity.org (include the Building Address and the IDs) or call (213) 482-0476. 

My property has separate structured parking with a unique Building ID. Which ID should I use to report?

Per LADBS, each building needs to be benchmarked separately using the associated Building ID, provided it meets the square footage requirements using its own Building ID. You can obtain or confirm your Building ID using LADBS’ Building Information Online system (BIO): http://lacitydbs.org/buildinginfo. Click the “Search by” dropdown menu and select “Building ID,” type in the building ID, and the map will highlight the building that corresponds to that particular building ID.  If you encounter problems using BIO that cannot be resolved using the FAQs, please contact us at ladbs.ebewe@lacity.org or (213) 482-0476.

Do I need a user account for each building?

Per LADBS, no, you can associate multiple buildings with one (1) LADBS user account.

I have multiple buildings in one account. Do I need to pay a registration fee for each building?

Per LADBS, yes, because registration fees are tied to each building, not to each LADBS user account. Additionally, registration is an annual requirement that ties the payment of the annual benchmark fee and report to a building for the specified calendar year.

How do I know if I have successfully submitted the report, and have complied with the Ordinance?

Per LADBS, customers receive an email “receipt” from Energy Star once their report is submitted to LADBS. To confirm that LADBS has received your benchmarking report submission, please check your status by signing onto your LADBS account at http://www.ladbs.org/EBEWEregistration.

What information will be publicly disclosed through the Ordinance?

Per LADBS, the EBEWE Ordinance requires that the following information be made available to the public on Internet:

  • Summary statistics on overall compliance
  • Summary statistics on overall energy and water consumption of buildings subject to the EBEWE Ordinance derived from aggregation of annual benchmarking reports; and
  • Building address and property use type;
  • The Energy Star® Portfolio Manager Energy Star score for the building, where available;
  • The weather-normalized site and source energy use intensity (EUI) per unit area per year (kBTU per square foot per year) for the building;
  • The site and source energy use intensity (EUI) per unit area per year (kBTU per square foot per year) for the building;
  • The annual carbon dioxide equivalent emissions due to energy use for the building as estimated by ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager;
  • Indoor water use, indoor water intensity, outdoor water use (when available), and total water use; and
  • The status of compliance with the requirements of the EBEWE ordinance.

What is a benchmarking report?

Per LADBS, a report, generated by ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager, summarizing the whole-building energy and water performance of a building.

What software tool is used for benchmarking and reporting?

Per LADBS, ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager is the free, online tool used for benchmarking and reporting. 

How often do I need to benchmark my building?

Per LADBS, buildings that are subject to the EBEWE Ordinance must be benchmarked every year by June 1st after the inital benchmark. 

How should I classify my property or building type?

Per LADBS, property owners can choose from the Portfolio Manager list of property use types to classify a property or building type. 

How do I benchmark if I have multiple buildings sharing a meter?

Per LADBS,  in Portfolio Manager, there is a feature called “Campus.” When you set up your property address, indicate that you have multiple buildings. Later in the process, you can specify a building ID for each building on the “Campus.” You must also calculate the water and energy usage for each building based on your best estimate of what each building uses.

I have less than 5 tenants with individual meters. One of the tenants refuses to sign a consent form required by LADWP. LADWP will not release the data. How can I still comply?

Per LADBS, you may estimate the water and electrical usage by comparing the benchmarked building with other similar buildings to the best of your ability.

An existing building was occupied for only a few months during the calendar year to be benchmarked. How do I benchmark it for 12 months?

Per LADBS, prorate the usage by taking a monthly average of the number of months for which you have data. Then use that data to estimate the remaining months for the year.

What is the difference between occupancy and vacancy?

Occupancy refers to the percentage of your property gross floor area that is occupied and operational. If you have people working in all floors/areas of your building then you are 100% occupied. You do not need to count empty cubicle spaces – but, you do want to make sure your number of workers is correct when tenant usage patterns change. Vacancy refers to a portion of the building that is not in use. This is not a few empty cubicles but rather a suite or entire floor that is not leased or occupied. When more than 10% of your property is vacant, you are required to create a separate “Vacant Space” property use for certain property types

Does occupancy rate affect my score, and how do I report changes?

The value you enter for occupancy rate will not affect your ENERGY STAR score or any other metric. However, this value could affect your eligibility for ENERGY STAR  Certification as certain property types have minimum occupancy rate requirements. You can adjust your occupancy rate on the "Details" tab under "Basic Information" in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager.

How do I add a virtual meter and maintain existing data in my ESPM account?

To add a virtual meter to accept aggregate data, while maintaining existing data in your ESPM account, follow the instructions here.

Energy & Water Audits and Retro-Commissioning

Do I have to get an energy and water audit?

Yes, beginning in 2021, building owners or representatives will have to prove that a building is energy and water efficient or that it is on a pathway to efficiency.  See Section 91.9708.2 for the schedule and more info on audits and retro-commissioning report compliance.

How often do I have to show my building is energy and water efficient?

Every five years after the initial deadline. Your initial deadline for showing performance is based on the assessor’s parcel number of your building.  View the schedule for audits and retro-commissioning report compliance here.

Are new buildings subject to the Ordinance’s performance requirements?

Energy audits and retro-commissioning are not required for buildings that are new and have been occupied for less than five years from their first due date, based on the Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, or Certificate of Occupancy. See Section 91.9706.2.3 Exemptions #4 in the Ordinance. 


Downloadable Documents


Benchmarking Guide

Ongoing Reporting Guide

Benchmarking Forms

LADWP Self Certification Letter

Template Letter of Authorization

ESPM Data Collection Worksheet

ESPM Meter Consumption Spreadsheet

Water Saving Opportunities

Dewatering Roadmap

Cooling Tower Primer

Plumbing Primer

Landscape and Irrigation Primer

LADWP Energy and Water Saving Rebates & Programs

SoCalGas Energy Saving Rebates & Programs

Is your Property Located in the City of LA? Verify on NavigateLA

Existing Buildings Energy and Water Efficiency Ordinance

LADBS Building Information Online

LA County Assessor - AIN Lookup

Resource Center Newsletter Archive

EBEWE Presentation -February 2018


How to Set up a Property in Portfolio ManagerĀ® - General Overview

Please refer to Sections 2 and 3A of the Guide for EBEWE specific instructions. 

How to Review your Benchmarking Data and Correct Common Errors

Download Presentation Slides 

Service Provider RFQ Info Session

Download Presentation Slides